Mary, Mary why ya buggin'?

Random thoughts and musings from an oversexed housewife.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Connect


So I read Inger's blog on a regular basis. She is a wonderful writer and always makes me think. I don't always comment because I don't have anything insightful to say, but I love reading her thoughts. I feel a kinship with her and I don't even know her. I feel a kinship with her son Liam too and am intrigued by the person he is.

All this may sound so weird, like I've really lost my ever-lovin' mind, but I can explain. See Inger is part of the trinity, so am I and so is Liam. We are the faces of adoption. I am a birth mom, Liam is an adoptee and Inger is his forever mom. I am not Liam's birthmother, I'm Gabby's birthmother. She was born almost eleven years ago.

I was beginning my senior year in college when I found out I was pregnant. To say it was an unplanned pregnancy is a gross understatement. I was a party girl; a free-loving spirit, sometimes angst-ridden mostly out for a good time, party girl. I went to a very small Catholic college and I had a wonderful circle of friends and I was pregnant with not a boyfriend’s baby, not even an acquaintance’s baby, but basically a stranger’s baby. What's a girl to do? I was raised by very Catholic, very right-winged parents who went through unplanned pregnancies with 2 other daughters. I was supposed to be the one who learned from their mistakes. I was supposed to be the "good" girl to follow in my parents footsteps; I was attending their alma mater after all. I was supposed to be a shining example of what great parents they were and here I show up pregnant my due date being the day I was to accept my diploma.

Those days after the stick turned were dark days for me. Being raised pro life and believing that life began at conception, I now had a kinship with all of the women who felt abortion was a good option. I had a real internal struggle over that decision. I can't say that I'm a supporter of abortion, but I know I can empathize with those who make that choice. You know that having a baby, or not having a baby, for that matter, will change your life forever. I decided that it would add insult to injury if I went against a basic belief of mine. I mean, how can you live with yourself if you go against something you've believed in with your whole heart? Besides feeling the shame of my pregnancy, I would then feel shame for being a hypocrite; going against my own moral compass? So I decided to tell my parents and face my future head on, whatever that would be.

The rest of the story is for another post. I just read Inger's blog and her struggles and triumphs as a mother and I feel connected to this stranger. How precious life is and how amazing it is that each choice we make can impact another human being, even when we don't know each other. It's a beautiful thing.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Zephyr said…

    I always admire those who choose to make the tough decision to NOT go through an abortion. Long-term, an abortion may be more difficult, but I think at the time it would feel like the easy way out... no one has to know, etc.

    A lot of my friends from my infertility support group ended up not being as lucky as I was... we solved our issues, but to become parents, they relied on mothers like you who made the tough choice at a difficult time. Hearing what it's like from the opposite side is fascinating. Thanks for sharing your story.

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said…

    Now THAT was an incredible post. And what a lovely tribute to Inger and Liam.

    I look forward to reading more of your story.

    You are an impressive lady, Mary. :)

    What a loving thing to do for Gabby.

     
  • At 3:20 AM, Blogger Rosie said…

    It's 2:16 a.m. I have insomnia and I read this post. So naturally I'm crying! I can't believe it's been almost 11 years! I love you. I think you are incredible and am grateful for all of your life experiences that made you the person you are today.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Cookie said…

    Hi Mary,

    Not even certain how I got to your blog, but, I am glad that I did. I am a reunited birth mom and would love to hear more of your adoption story. Thanks for sharing what you have so far - look forward to reading more!

    Lara, I don't think there is an "easy way out" for an unplanned pregnancy. For me though, relinquishing my son certainly didn't turn out to be the solution that I thought it would. Actually know some women who have chosen adoption and abortion - all agree that abortion is way less painful over a lifetime. Some adoptive parents don't tend to like to hear that, but......

    Cookie

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Cookie said…

    P.S. WOuld love to know about the picture. Is that you and your first child's adoptive parents?

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger I n g e r said…

    Oh my God, Mary. I'm honestly breathless. And in tears, of course.

    Is that you in the photo, with the baby? I can't rip my eyes away from it. Everybody smiling, but you're about to hand over your child, and I can't help but look for signs of the real scene. Look how strong you are. I hope you'll post about it; we have nothing from Liam's birthmom but denial, and so we can't access that part of his story. It's a real point of fantasy for him, and always will be, I imagine.

    I'll be back about a hundred times to read again. Hugs and love from CT.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

View My Stats