Mary, Mary why ya buggin'?

Random thoughts and musings from an oversexed housewife.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

WWJD, really?

So I'm in the middle of my morning, cleaning the kitchen, having my coffee, reading the paper while listening to Regis and Kelly when all of the sudden it all just stopped. See I came upon an article in the paper about the Catholic Church and adoption.

From reading my blog many of you know that I placed a baby for adoption almost eleven years ago. Also from reading my blog you know I was raised Catholic. So when I was looking into adoption agencies I naturally chose to use Catholic Social Services. I had a wonderful open adoption experience. I was treated with love and compassion. My social worker was a nun who was not only kind, but very knowledgeable about the legalities of adoption. I was counseled and advocated for and I felt and still feel that this was the best place for me to find a family for my daughter.

So today it saddened me so deeply to read an article that states that the Boston Archdiocese will be ending their role in adoption because of a state law allowing gays and lesbians to adopt. The archdiocese says that they encountered a "dilemma" they cannot solve. The article goes on to say that in 2003 the Vatican wrote that gay adoption was "gravely immoral" and children placed in such homes would be "deprived of the experience of either motherhood or fatherhood." I've not been a "practicing Catholic" for five years. I've really struggled with this since so much of my life and family traditions have been steeped in the churches rituals and teachings.

It's hard to let go of something that has been so much a part of my life; having said that, I really don't want to be a part of something that is so blatantly hypocritical. The churches stance on this particular subject really hits home due to my connection with adoption. It's been my experience that gay couples are less likely to discriminate against drug babies, HIV positive babies and babies of a different race. Why would the church turn there backs on those children with such a great need to be loved and couples who in turn are willing to give so much love?

I just don't understand why this whole issue is so confusing for religious. Aren't we taught to love one another? Isn't it the basics of Christianity to embrace each other in our likeness and differences? What about God is Love? There seems to be no compassion, no understanding and no willingness to be open. Part of the adoption process is to take it case by case, and here the church is just making on blanket denial based on what? One positive side to the article was that in December the 42 member board of the Boston Catholic Charities voted unanimously to continue to consider gay couples in the adoption process. In learning of the archdiocese's decision, eight members stepped down from their positions on the board to protest. Maybe there are some voices of reason in the church and they won't just blindly accept this kind of discrimination.

Religion can really test a person's faith! I've never wavered in my basic beliefs. I've always had a great relationship with God and have had total faith in His role in my life. I've missed going to church. I've missed the community of church. I've missed the sights and smells of mass. But I just feel like I have to listen to what my heart is telling me and that is that my place may not be in that church any more. I don't know where my journey will lead me at this point. I'm just not sure I feel comfortable in a place that alienates an entire section of the population that I've found to be accepting and loving.


5 Comments:

  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said…

    I can COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from on this one, Mary!

    I too struggle with the Catholic Church and my beliefs. I'm fortunate that in our area the church seems pretty progressive, and pushes the envelope all the time on what the Vatican promotes.

    I disagree with quite a few MAJOR things that the Catholic Church promotes. Especially their stance on everything to do with the gay community.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Rosie said…

    How depressing, deflating and demoralizing. If everything happens for a reason...I sure would like the sun to shine a little light on this one.

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger Zephyr said…

    WWJD?

    I think he'd say something like "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

    Jesus loved and accepted "sinners" of all types. He let his love be the catalyst to cause each of them to re-evaluate their own lifestyle and decide to change what was at fault. I doubt that he would change his ways just because the issue was homosexuality. He didn't reject anyone due to their lifestyle. He allowed his own witness and love to let them choose to make any necessary changes on their own.

    And with a pattern like that to follow, I have a hard time agreeing with anyone who feels they must cast stones.

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger sjobs said…

    I, too, am struggling with the Catholic Church. It has been a part of me since my birth. I still attend church but am truly unhappy with the Pope and the stands he is taking. This seems to put one more nail in the coffin for me. The one thing that keeps me there is that my church is rather liberal. They don't preach about abortion and during elections say to vote for the person who best represents the majority of your beliefs. I do have to say that my daughter, adopted from India, goes to the church preschool. She is the only child there with one parent and of color. I have had many run ins with some of the things she has come home and told me but I use those as opportunities to enlighten them.....

    Mary

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Pivoney said…

    I'm glad you touched on this one.

    I saw an interview with the Gov. of Mass. the other day regarding this issue. Being a conservative he was against the law. The basic principle was that the law forces the state to regulate the church.

    He also stated that the Catholic Charities wasn't the only adoption service and that people had 9 other choices in Mass.

    I am saddened by the whole issue because another organization that's purpose is to help people is being shut down due to the stance of a few.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

View My Stats