Mary, Mary why ya buggin'?

Random thoughts and musings from an oversexed housewife.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

A Patriots' Confession


In my mind I've wanted to create a post about the current political climate and my role in it. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the intelligence to fully articulate my feelings. Please bear with me.

As I was running yesterday in a 5K for Veterans, I was thinking to myself, "What the hell does running this 5K have anything to do with Veterans?" Listening to the cadence of my footfalls I said a short prayer for those serving our country abroad. I thought about how much I wished our troops could just come home. I thought about how I would feel if Craig had to be deployed. I thought about how angry I would be to know he was over there "fighting terrorism" and there seemed to be no light at the end of that tunnel. I suppose that answered my own question about the purpose of the run. It was great to see the military members who ran to support their comrades.

Okay, here comes the political part. I was raised by a conservative republican dad who was a fighter pilot in the Air Force. He's very right winged where as my mom was more or less an "independent" who later registered republican so she could vote in the primary. She was raised by a man who was a union steward for the railroad. I think in her heart she was a democrat. Well, when it came time for me to register to vote at 18, I registered republican, wanting to make my parents proud, but also not understanding much except that the current president was republican.

Don't start throwing rotten tomatoes at me. I thought I was doing the right thing. Now that I'm older, I'm not even remotely sure what the right thing is in the political arena. I know that when given the choice between Bush and Kerry, I was really stumped. The choice was equally bad!! I guess I thought that Bush should finish what he started in the Gulf and clean up his mess. Now with the recent Supreme Court nominations, I see where my choice was so egregiously flawed.

Being a military spouse I see politics in a very confusing light. I see a large group of people who are fervent patriots, who wouldn't say a bad thing about the administration because they see it as treason. I see many who serve and don't even understand the depth of what to serve means. I see religious zealots who think nothing morally of what it means to be a nuclear officer. Does that make any sense? This base is a missile base. That means that currently Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles are our main mission. We train to launch these missiles and work to be the fighting force of nuclear deterrents to the rest of the world.

I've had many discussions with my husband regarding the moral implications of his job and training, what it means to me, our children. I've talked about how it floors me that most other's in my position look at me like I've grown a third eye when I talk about that issue in terms of, "how does it make you feel to know that your husband is trained to destroy the world as we know it?"

I live with a guy who thinks that although he would never burn the flag that doing just that might be one of the most democratic things you can do. That is showing that we are so free we can destroy the symbol of our country without repercussions. He says, "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death to give you the freedom to say it!" I know he didn't make that up, but he believes it with his whole heart. That's one of the things I love and admire about him.

So that's the dirty secret I carry. I'm a republican. I really feel shame about George W. Bush being our president. I feel let down and misguided. I feel so conflicted about the war in Iraq. I never supported the idea of going over there. I DID know from the beginning that it was wrong. But now I feel like we have no choice but to stay and clean up the mess that we've made. Each and every day I hope and pray our troops will soon return. This month our base will loose a large number of troops to a deployment in the Middle East. I know these guys. I know their wives and kids. They will be gone through the holidays and be put in harms way to help the "war on terror". I am saddened that maybe I had something to do with their departure. I'm ashamed because I'm glad my husband doesn't have to go.

It seems that the worse thing about the current administration is that it has made proud, voting Americans shameful of being American and not want to vote. It's ironic that bringing democracy to the Middle East is one of the administrations objectives when they can't even instill civic pride and decrease voter apathy in our own country.

9 Comments:

  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Rosie said…

    Somebody voted for Bush besides you. The reason most be feel ashamed (if they do) right now is the behavior of our President and people close to him is questionable at best and immoral and treasonous at worst. That's a disappointment to every American when we look at our leadership.

    Besides, "when you know better, you do better." If I had to trust anyone to make the best choice they could and weigh (and consider and weigh some more) the pros and cons...it would be you.

    The fact you wrote this proves that.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger John Q. Public esq. said…

    well done...
    "I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death to give you the freedom to say it!"
    thats what its all about, I was told when I was in boots not to spend time thinking about all that other shit, that I would have lots of time after to think about it... they were right

    I am proud to have stood on the wall with many men like your husband...

    I guess what I am saying is its not a Rep. or Dem thing its a Americian thing

    JQP

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Pivoney said…

    Great post!

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Blogger John Q. Public esq. said…

    oh and good luck, hope we get to have a few beers together this year... just got to love the Catholic football

    http://www.sf.edu/athletics/football/news/2005/111305_1st%20Test%20Pikeville.shtml

    JQP

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger Mouthy Girl said…

    You've done a beautiful job of putting down the thoughts many of us have yet are too busy, lazy, afraid, etc. to put them down for the world to see.

    Wonderful post, Mary woman!

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger kjane said…

    Excellent post Mary. As a Canadian student I'm not really totally familiar with how you guys vote down there (only two parties to pick from...hmm?) but I really admire your honesty, and the post was extremely well-written.

    - spart

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Pivoney said…

    Now that I've got my thoughts together, I wanted to say that I thank God that there are people like your hubby out there protecting us and our freedoms. I too, often wonder if I should be doing more for society.

    As far as the politics I don't see much differentiation between the two parties that we have. I think both would have led us to exactly where we are today. I am having serious thoughts about the need for a third political party. I think someone needs to get in there and shake things up. Unfortunately, no one out of the current two parties would do so and risk losing the financial backing the parties afford them.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger WarriorM said…

    Thanks to you all for your great support! It's always a bit scary to write politically because I personally don't want to alienate anyone.

    I really enjoy hearing from my nieghbors to the north! Canadians have a great way of looking at the big picture. I think Phaggot is right, I do lean more to the left. I'm an issue kinda girl. I like to vote according to the issues that are important to me. The unfortunate thing is that these days politicians are so cagey about where they stand on certain issues. It's all very frustrating!

    What I find so interesting about getting older is that politics have become more important to me. I guess I'm not that egocentric twit I used to be and I really want to look at things globally. I want to make a difference in my community, in my country and in the world at large. I guess the next phase of my life is figuring out how to do all that and still raise decent young men.

    Again, I really appreciate the kind words from you all, dear readers! You generosity of spirit makes me all warm and fuzzy inside! :-)

     
  • At 3:47 AM, Blogger Jay said…

    I will always lean way, way to the left, and as a Canadian, I agree with the above comment that the American system is a little baffling. I've studied politics a lot, but it is counter-intuitive that in your country, so few people actually vote, but so many complain.
    Only in the past few years has "republican" become a dirty word. It's not, really, and I think any political opinion is good as long as you have reasons for it,which you clearly do. It's people who either don't vote or don't understand the vote, that worry me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

View My Stats