Mary, Mary why ya buggin'?

Random thoughts and musings from an oversexed housewife.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Why Do I Torture Myself?

I know that I may not have the best taste in movies, but I think I have an open mind and am willing to watch non-mainstream movies to broaden my horizons. For example I rented the Big Lebowski (several years back) just to see if it was up to snuff with other Coen movies (Fargo, Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou. All works of art, all must sees that I know and love.) Well, aside from making me crave white Russians, I thought the movie sucked! It was a waste of 2 hours of my life. Two hours I can never get back. Maybe I just didn't get it, whatever IT is.

I'm starting to realize that I am a gullible movie watcher. I believe the hype. I think something will be worth my while and then it blows chunks. Tonight's vomit fest was Dallas 362. I read an article in my local newspaper (mistake numero uno) where they praised Scott Caan (James' son) for writing, directing and starring in this big piece of shit. I never really thought he was a great actor, but I thought, "hey he's James Caan's son, he might have a talent for writing and direction, give it a shot." Stupid, stupid, stupid. Clearly I bought the hype hook, line and sinker and wasted, yet again, my precious time. I can't really say one good thing about the movie.

I always think it's awesome, on the flip side, when you watch a movie that you expect to suck and it turns out to be surprisingly good. An example of this would be any recommendation my husband gives me. See, I always think he's going to recommend a guy movie that will be gory and awful, but he's been brilliant in dragging me to The Usual Suspects, The Saint, O Brother Where Art Thou, and recently rented Sin City. All of which I enjoyed. Sin City is gory. A comic book movie, but incredibly made, beautifully artistic and gave me a new appreciation for Mickey Rourke whom I usually think is the creepiest man on the planet.

It turns out, I'm the one who has the shitty taste picking out movies. I drug him to see Must Love Dogs thinking you can't go wrong with John Cusack. Yuck! I keep giving these romantic comedies a whirl. I'm hoping that I'll find a Bridget Jones, or When Harry Met Sally, Amelie, An Affair to Remember, take your pick. Instead I watch Jersey Girl, Little Black Book and Raising Helen. All of which were so awful, I'm embarrassed to have admitted watching them .

I only wrote this blog to bitch about how sucky Dallas 362 was. I needed to vent. I hope I may have done some public service. Scott Caan, SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

View My Stats