Mary, Mary why ya buggin'?

Random thoughts and musings from an oversexed housewife.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Picture Day!


Do you remember picture day at school? I was asked to volunteer today at my sons' school to help with picture day.

I remember when I would get up a little earlier to make sure my coiffure was styled to picture day perfection. Fortunately or unfortunately, I went to Catholic school so I didn't have to worry about what to wear...it was always the blue plaid jumper. I would practice smiling in the mirror after brushing my teeth to make sure I put my best face forward.

I enjoyed spending time with the kids today. Although my unscientific poll shows that only 1 in 20 kids practiced smiling for picture day. When I asked them if they practiced in the mirror, they looked at me like I was some kind of moldy food left in the back of the fridge. Sometime in the last few years I went from someone I thought was hip to geeky-volunteer-mom-at-picture day.

I discovered that the photographers who take school pictures annoy the shit out of me. Whoever thought of telling the kids to say things like "happy monkey" to get them to smile was an idiot. The kids don't smile better after saying those lame phrases. Half the time they have some retarded look on there face from trying to say lame phrase and smile fakely at the same time. And what about the whole "chin down and move your head toward me" bit? They look so unnatural and contorted in a very unflattering way.

All in all picture day was a great success (despite my boys getting filthy before we even left the house this morning)!

3 Comments:

  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Rosie said…

    Filthy? Let me guess "Is that poop on your socks?"

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger I n g e r said…

    Oh mary, I've missed so much here--I don't know where to begin!

    Have you always had your pic up, or is that new? How pretty you are! The school photo thing--nodding all the way through. Our school district just fired their long-time photo guy and hired another guy known for doing good outdoor shots. Naturally, it rained that day, and this guy isn't known for eliciting the same natural joie de vivre from kids perched on stools in the gym... We'll see.

    Can't get over the embedded eyeball jewelry, or the notion of mucous membrane. Things grab the mind.

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Zephyr said…

    I remember being told to say "Granny Grump" for my 4th grade pictures. I ended up giggling and biting my tongue in the picture to try to stifle my laughing. My kids STILL laugh when they see it.

    I'm going to strike against school pictures. Last spring my oldest son came home with a set of photos we could look at and buy. Instead I took a snapshot my daughter had shot of him on the digital camera, cropped it, and had prints made at WalMart. We got better photos for him to share with friends, and saved money too.

    School pictures aren't good for anything other than the school yearbook, and that is only because they are required or your photo isn't in it. From now on, I buy a small package and shoot my own!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

View My Stats